The practice was started in the early years of the 20th Century by Dr Hugh Munroe, who came to Beverley, initially as the medical officer for the town, and then set up as a family doctor in premises in Hengate. In 1930, Dr Peter McKinley joined him and he, like Dr Munroe, was also an Edinburgh graduate. They subsequently acquired premises in Lairgate, and this became the surgery premises for the practice until the early 1970s.
Dr Charles Cameron had joined the practice in 1940, initially coming to Beverley to run the practice whilst Dr McKinley was on sickness leave, but on Dr McKinley’s return to work, Dr Cameron stayed on as a partner and by this time Dr Munroe had retired. Dr Charles Glassey joined the practice after the Second World War, having served in the Navy and in the mid 1950s Dr McKinley emigrated to New Zealand. Dr Edwin Meek joined the practice, initially as an assistant but became a partner in 1959 and in 1965 Dr Lavine joined the practice, making it a four partner practice to keep up with the growth in the town. The partnership expanded to five doctors in 1972 when Dr Steve Donohue joined.
The next addition to the practice was Dr Peter Jones in 1978 at the time when Drs. Cameron and Glassey became part time partners. Three years later they retired completely from the practice and Dr Neil Wilson came, but only stayed for about three years before Dr Shaw became the fifth partner in the practice. There was further expansion in the practice in 1987 when Dr Hill became a partner to make the partnership up to six partners. Dr Meek retired in 1991 and was replaced by our first lady partner, Dr Rachel Waterer, who moved to the Midlands after four years to be replaced by Dr Underwood. In 1996 both Drs. Lavine and Donohue changed to part time work and Dr Moran joined us, leaving about four years later. The partnership continued as a seven partner practice with the addition of Dr Alton at the beginning of 1998, Dr Cavill in October 1999, Dr Clifton at the beginning of 2000 and Dr Harrison July 2006 on the retirement of Dr Shaw. Dr Clausen joined us in 2009, and after Dr Harrison's departure to Australia in 2010, Dr Clarke joined completing the partnership with 8 partners. We were fortunate to have Dr Piper join our team in 2014, when Dr Jones left the partnership. Dr Hill retired in April 2016, and as the practice continues to expand two new partners have joined. Dr Murphy joined as a partner in July 2016, and Dr Smith joined as a partner in August 2016. Dr Underwood retired in April 2018, and Dr Garnham joined as a partner in May 2018. Dr Alton left the partnership in January 2019. In February 2020 Dr Catherine Mace joined the practice and we now currently have 9 partners. Dr Clifton retired in October 2021, and we have a new partner joined Dr Timothy Brown, the partnership continues with 9 partners.
Forty years ago there was only one part time receptionist and the caretaker, but at the beginning of the 21st Century there is a staff of a 2 practice managers, a finance manager, a clinical pharmacist, a physio practitioner, two secretaries, eight receptionists, four healthcare assistants, three dispensers and three nursing sisters in our Treatment Room. Our present list of patients number is over 12500 and we continue to try and provide a modern comprehensive family doctor service working from the Health Centre in Manor Road, Beverley.